Driving licences can be obtained by adult UAE citizens/residents after training from an authorized driving school in Dubai. If you are 18-21 year of age, you can apply for a probationary licence.
If you have a valid license from any of these 36 approved countries, the process to getting a license here in the UAE is very simple. The countries are below:-
- Passport (original & copy) with residence stamp
- No-Objection Certificate from employer
- 8 photos.
Authorized Driving Schools
- Al Ahli Driving School-04-3411500 (10 branches)
- Belhasa Driving School – 04-3243535 (18 branches)
- Dubai Driving Center- 04-3455855 (13 branches)
- Emirates Driving Institute-04-2631100 (53 branches/mall counters)
- Galadari Driving School-04-2676166 (14 branches)
- Drive Dubai 04-8855118
- Get an eye test done either at an optician or at your driving school.
- The Driving school will handle all paper-work with RTA who may even have a counter at the school.
- Receive your temporary driving license, which you must carry in your training car.
- Once you have passed all internal tests like garage and parking, your school will apply for your theory test followed by your road test.
The theory test is carried out at the five authorized driving schools. Don’t forget to carry relevant ID, driving file+ 2 photos and theory test RTA fee of AED 200.
A total of 35 questions on road signals, hazards and guidelines on safe-driving will be asked in either English, Arabic or Urdu, with more languages to be added later. Candidates who cannot read the touch-screen or are not computer literate can take the examination orally. The first segment with 17 questions focuses on general traffic situations, and the candidate will need to answer a minimum of 11 correct to pass. The second segment has 18 questions related to the specific driving license the candidate requires and a minimum of 12 correct answers are required to be eligible for the road test.
From July 2015, a new segment was added to the Theory test. Called Risks Recognition Test, the test contains a few videos that depicts specific environmental conditions and asks the driver how he/she can cope with them.
On the date assigned, go with your passport, driving file+ 2 photos to the RTA Licence Section as advised by your driving school. Fill up application form & submit fees (around AED 200 for road test). When your name is called out, go along with the other three candidates and the RTA inspector to the designated car. You will be given just a few minutes to demonstrate your driving and anticipatory skills.
If you fail, you will have to register with your driving school for at least 7 more classes and get a new road-test date.
If you pass, collect the approval paper from your inspector and go to the Pass Counter. Submit along with suitable ID & AED 100. Collect your test file and submit to Control Counter. After processing, pay required fee and proceed to photo area. When your name is called out, have your photo taken. Congratulations. In a few minutes, you will receive your DL and be eligible to drive in Dubai and the UAE.